Monday, December 19, 2011

Au revoir Paris.

     To start off... I am sorry for whoever is reading this and noticing that my spelling is wrong or that I am mixing up letters... That is because the keyboards here are different! I have to go back and check my spelling on a lot of what I am writing and I dont always catch everything.
      The flea market was fabulous. When we first arrived I was a little doubtful and thought that it was just going to be a bunch of vendors selling crap because thats what you see right off the bat. There are many people selling knockoff shoes, purses, lots an lots of junk. As you make your way through the streets and alleys, deeper into the flea market (that is HUGE by the way) THAT is where you find the goods :). There was SO MUCH. I found beautiful antiques, pictures, glass ware, silver wear, furniture, vintage clothes, fabulous old army and marine gear. It seemed endless. I could have spent hundreds and hundreds on things that were so cool. I came away with 2 sweaters, some silver wear and old parfume bottles. All things that I was looking for. There were boutique stands, vendors, and then people on the street selling obvious random, stollen things. It made me chuckle. Oh! I also bought a watch that the seller tried selling for a much higher price then I was willing... so I bargained and got it for cheap. Go me. I had a great time looking at all that the market had to offer... and I looked at a fraction of what was there. I thought a lot of how Michael, my moms designer friend, and how he could fully decorate ANY house with things just from here. In the army stands I know he and Nick would have died looking at the fantastically simple clothes, bags, tins, and everything else they sold. I had to literally ask myself "do you really neeeed this Kathleen?" that helped with not buying everything.
      I wanted to thank again my mom and Jim for helping me out the other night when I showed up at the apartment I am staying at with no money and no keys. They really helped me out and I probably would have had to sleep in the metro if it wasnt for them... as well as for Trevor because he housed me that night.
     Michael-if you are reading this, there are buns everywhere. Hair buns that is. I know you love hair when it is all tied up in a messy bun... and here.... it is EVERYWHERE. It seems like an art to me. I have started to look at it as that, observing hair styles on the street, subway, in cafés, etc. I love it. With buns everywhere, scarves, leather bags and leather shoes are worn by everyone as well!! It is fabulous. It makes looking at people so much more interesting I think. Everyone looks sophisticated... even if they are not. I wish more men in the US wore scarves like they do here.... I think people may be scared that they will look "funny" or something. I dont know, what do you think?
        At  noon in Paris it is as if baguettes have taken over the hands of ALL parisians. Men, women, skinny, fat, little, big, everyone I tell you. It is so funny to me to see people walking around all over at lunch time chewing on large, long bread baguettes. Whether they are filled with sandwhich fillings or not they are everywhere.
       Today I went to the fabric district. It was a bit overwhelming because there was fabric everywhere. Literally flowing out of the store shops, on the street, in buildings going 4 levels up! My mom would hav died. I died a little. I was going to buy fabric then remembered I brought a carryon to Paris... and leave for Madrid tomorrow, and still have clothes to pack as well as the knick knacks that I have collected in the past week. I ended up buying 2 beautiful ribbons. That was enough to make me happy. The area we walked around was sweet, there were many little vintage shops lining the cobble stone streets that I wondered in and out of. I found a cool belt and a linen shirt for summer. Even though that seems years away especially with the COLD weather here. I end up not having feeling in ly toes after a couple hours outside walking and the feeling comes and goes in my fingers.
      Today I checked off eating a chocolate croissant, buying ribbon and having some fish all from my list. On my way back to the apartment I almost got lost on the metro. I got on the wrong one and ended up going way out of my way so it took me about an hour to get back. I enjoy riding the metro thought because I get to people watch up close. I stare. I am one of the people on public transportation that just stares and doesnt care what people think. Obviously I am not acting like a weirdo... but I do get transfixed on people talking, their conversatations and interactions with each other. Especially because I dont even know what they are talking about! It is so interesting to me to watch little french kids interact and speak. I love the way french sounds when a young child speaks it. I am envious of the kids... I wish I could speak french like they do!
        I have packed my suitcase for the morning plane ride, will be up and out early. I cannot wait to see family in Spain. Great Aunts and Uncles, Great Grandmother and many of my mom and Aunties cousins. I have had a fabulous time in Paris but I am ready for some new adventure, new scenery, family and a bed to myself. Even though it is going to be a blow up mattress! Bon nui for now. It will be hard to switch my brain from french... to spanish but I cant wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment