Wednesday, December 14, 2011

4.

What a day!
  Audrey woke me up this morning on her way out to the library, she still has a couple more finals and then she is done. So Thursday night... we're going out! This morning was cloudy when I woke. I showered, made some tea, had banana and yogurt, answered some emails and then was out of the apartment by 10! I walked down to the Eiffel Tower, like I have every day,  along the Seine then made my way up to the Arc de Triomphe. Walking through the streets is just pure eye candy. From the architecture, to the sky, the the men who walk by me, I just cant seem to get enough. On my way through the streets I wondered through an outdoor market. It had fruit stands, little gismo stands, flowers and much more. The fruit stands shone like diamonds to my eyes. All I wanted to do was buy loads of veggies and fruit but I knew that would hinder my wandering through the city. I smartly packed 3 tangerines and a banana for snacking. It is fascinating how scary drivers are in Paris. All they do is cut each other off, lay on the horn and cut each other off. I watched this go on for a few minutes as hundreds of cars drove the loop around the Arc de Triomphe. I walked further down the Avenue des champs-élysées through the little noel market. There are little christmas markets set up all over the city, with fake snow, the shops are in little wooden elf looking houses and every couple shops down they sell food. The food is soo delicious smelling! There is pasta being made, crepes, hot wine, cider, hot dogs, sausages, everything you name it. Walking through all this was so christmassy. Here they do not have christmas tree lots, at lest not that Ive seen. It is more someone who found a corner on the street so sell christmas trees, like a make shift christmas tree lot. What is lovely is that I have not seen ONE bushy ugly christmas tree like they sell back home. Here they are all douglas firs, the ones that have spaces between each level of branch. I also noticed that the Parisiens like to spray paint and frost their trees. It is sort of an odd thing, I think. I saw a black decorated one today outside a restaurant, I have seen white multiple times and the occasional pink colored tree(all real spray painted trees!)
       I proceeded to walk through the Jardin des Tuileries, the sun was slipping behind rain clouds and it made me nervous because I again did not bring an umbrella. I stopped to people watch for a few, and to give my feet a rest, watched the fountains, birds and sky change, it was beautiful. Snapping photos here and there... I saw a couple sitting by the fountain when the man kneeled down to propose! It was so magical... her face lit up, she grabbed her face and kissed him. It was a subtle sweet little experience I got to carry the rest of the day with me. 
         The louvre was filled with a good amount of tourists and I was approached by many people trying to sell little gismos. I walked through the Louvre last time I was here I just wanted to see it again... its huge! I found some sweet little side streets that had nice shops, bought a bracelet for myself and a little metal jewelry box. I met up with a friend, Richard for a beer at a pub, we had good conversation and he showed me a few fun places to go around the neighborhood we were in. After the beer, I went to a grocery store to pick up some almonds and chocolate. :) Dark chocolate to be exact... I cant stop eating it either! I am going to have another piece now actually....
      I was out for a good 8 hours today, told Audrey I would be back by the time it was dark, I am home now but I dont know where she is. We were thinking we would go out tonight but my feet are so sore I dont know if I can put my boots back on! I am making some tea and washing some clothes in the sink. No washer or dryer here so we hand wash!
     Today was sweet, tiring, and now it is time for me to read and decompress.


No comments:

Post a Comment